Friday, January 21, 2011

Settling in







In honor of today's bone chilling, nostril sticking, eye watering, feet numbing, 0 degree weather we have in Chicago this morning, I thought it only appropriate to post some soothing blue, green hued beach scenes that beg the question; Why do we live here again? Why do we put ourselves through this misery?  Isn't life too short? Why am I not driving around in a convertible today beneath sunny skies and palm trees?

A similar subject came up the other week when out to dinner with some good friends. With bellies full of warm appetizers and heads full of spirits, someone asked whether we felt settled in Chicago. There are so many reasons to answer yes to that question, (good friends, jobs, schools, home, city, etc...) but I could not say it. There is definitely a nesting side to me; sticks and twigs as my friend Nathan call it. But I also crave the new, the unknown, the exploration, the voice deep inside that says don't get to comfortable; there is so much more to see. I guess for now I will take comfort in the Midwest belief that this weather makes us stronger, heartier, better people.

No comments:

Post a Comment